EnviroCom Australia undertakes research and technical data collection for a wide range of government and private sector clients. Methodologies are developed specifically for each project to reflect the client’s needs.
Research collection projects include:
- Corporate sustainability auditing (water, energy, waste)
- Domestic mobile garbage bin audits (garbage, recycling and organic)
- Landfill and transfer station audits
- Landfill assessments
- Site specific audits
- Materials recovery facility waste stream audits
- Commercial and industrial waste assessments
- Community waste assessments
- Community attitude and knowledge surveys
- Inspection programs
- Desktop research
- Compliance and legislative auditing
- Behavioural observations
- Waste Management Plans and Strategies
- Education program evaluation and review
Waste Audit at Metropolitan Melbourne Train Stations
In January 2013, Metro Trains Melbourne (Metro Trains) began an educational Waste & Recycling poster campaign at selected metropolitan Melbourne train stations. EnviroCom was appointed to conduct audits to evaluate the effectiveness of the campaign and to inform future actions.
EnviroCom conducted a pre-education audit in October 2012 to establish a baseline. The post-education audit was conducted in April 2013, three months after the implementation of the educational poster campaign.
The audits involved a site assessment (station cleanliness, condition of bin infrastructure, number and location of bins), visual litter count and bin inspections (% fullness, % contamination and % resource loss), as well as collection and segregation of recycling and garbage bin contents according to the Australian Waste Database (AWD) categories.
From pre- to post-education, there was found to be an increase in the mass of recyclables being presented to the comingled recycling stream and a decrease in the mass of contamination of the recycling stream – both encouraging results! The educational poster campaign has had some success in improving the quality of the recyclables collected from metropolitan Melbourne train stations.